Monday August 25th
"Materials by Design"
1. Materials as systems
2. Systems engineering design
3. Design objectives and property/performance relations
4. Demo: Cambridge Engineering Selector- property
Tuesday August 26th
"Modeling Materials for Design"
0. Review from Monday, questions.
1. Modeling process/structure relationships: Thermodynamics,
precipitation, displacive transformations and transformation
plasticity, quantum mechanics
2. Demo: ThermoCalc/DICTRA, FLAPW
Wednesday August 27th
0. Review from Tuesday, questions.
1. Modeling structure/property relationships: strengthening,
toughness, hydrogen embrittlement.
2. Design Examples: ultrahigh strength steels, gear
and bearing alloys, weld metals.
3. Design Demo: Groups I and II
Thursday August 28th
0. Review from Wednesday, questions.
1. Integration techniques and demos: PrecipiCalc,
Computational Materials Dynamics
2. Design Examples: Gypsum Wallboard, high strength
3. Design Demo: Groups III and IV
Friday August 29th
0. Review from Thursday, questions.
1. Computational materials design in the full development
2. Robust design and quality engineering techniques
3. Tools for accelerated development.